Northallerton Town vs Ashington


Match Report

By Brian Bennett

Over the past few years at Ashington, what has developed into a regular – and popular – feature posted on the club’s social media platforms is the opportunity for players, officials and supporters to take a look at footage of goals and potted highlights from every game.

So when the best parts from Saturday’s Ebac Northern League first division clash at Northallerton were condensed into a mere 67 seconds, it really summed up this drab and abysmal match in a nutshell.

Within a period of ten first half minutes, Colliers nippy striker Dan Maguire carved out two chances for himself. With the first – on the 17 minutes mark – he turned and fired a left footer from the edge of the penalty area which smacked against the woodwork.

Eight minutes later, Maguire’s finish was exquisite. Craig Spooner beat the offside trap, raced down the right and when his shot was pushed out by home ‘keeper Samuel Taylor, Maguire picked up the rebound and after switching the ball from his left foot to his right, thumped it home just inside the post.

It proved to be the winner and extended the Woodhorn Lane club’s winning sequence to four matches.

As a result, it also saw them move into third place in the division – leapfrogging Newton Aycliffe who went down 3-1 against Seaham Red Star.

However, the Colliers could have been behind in the opening minutes following a slip inside the area with Matty Waters having a shot which was turned aside by ‘keeper Karl Dryden. Ben Harmison cleared away from the danger zone but Waters then had a header which was pushed away for a corner by the visiting stopper.

After Maguire had broke the deadlock, he fired over on the stroke of half time and midway through the second period, the forward cut inside but his shot lacked power and was collected by Taylor.

The only other opportunities came in the final 20 minutes. Northallerton sub Kyle Lancaster slice wide before a defensive slip presented an opening to Harmison but he lashed over.

It was clearly a game to forget – only Ashington were delighted after leaving the Calvert Stadium with all three points.

Before kick-off, players, officials and supporters observed an impeccable minutes silence as a mark of respect ahead of Remembrance Sunday.