Blyth Spartans 50%  50%  [ 10 ]
Newcastle Reserves 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other (Please explain in the comments) 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Spennymoor Town 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Whitley Bay 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 20
 Post subject: Who's the biggest rival?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:50 pm 

I'm still finding my way with Ashington (though I picked a pretty good season to start cheering). I'm beginning to notice some names coming up with particular zeal as opponents. Still, I thought I'd ask the forums what their opinion is. Who do you consider Ashington's biggest rival? Who do you love to see the Colliers get one over on? Who do you wince at the most when they come up most short? Who can you always talk your mates into coming to see as it's always a great game?

Just satisfying my curiousity.

Last edited by wmcduff on Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:51 am 

personally I prefer the spartans games! higher league club that we don't play often, so when we do beat them it is all the more sweeter. Also a big crowd and atmosphere is generally guaranteed. Just got to keep the dealers out of the toilets.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:40 pm 

It occurs to me that I probably should have included Morpeth, too, though they're downladder from Ashington.

(One of) The other votes is mine. Want it to show me the results without having to click all the time. Not for any one in particular.

Last edited by wmcduff on Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:54 pm 

Location: Woodhorn Lane, the Larkies or whatever they call it!
Traditionally Ashington's biggest rivals were Blyth Spartans two big Northumbrian towns with decent non league level teams since football began. Ashington's 1980's decline and Blyth's rise has seperated the teams and mellowed the rivalry a bit. Bedlington are the regular rivalry now.

However, there's still something special about Ashington V Blyth Spartans!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:15 pm 

Always has been and always will be Spartans - don't care what league they are playing in.

Terriers are just another local team that we need to beat - like Morpeth, North Shields etc but the Spartans ........... uuggh !!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:02 pm 

Stealth Plow wrote:
Traditionally Ashington's biggest rivals were Blyth Spartans two big Northumbrian towns with decent non league level teams since football began. Ashington's 1980's decline and Blyth's rise has seperated the teams and mellowed the rivalry a bit. Bedlington are the regular rivalry now.

However, there's still something special about Ashington V Blyth Spartans!

I'd have to agree with you. Up till 1984 when Ashington and Blyth went their seperate ways when the Colliers were relegated it was definately Blyth. Ashington never played the Terriers on a regular basis until 84/85 season in the Northern League second division. Before that the Terriers were a Northern Alliance outfit. Certainly after our relegation meetings between Blyth & Ashington have been restricted to Senior Cup affairs.

The Blyth games were always special, certainly from my time watching and being involved around the club from the mid-70's there were not many derby games I can happilly recall. I only saw Ashington win on enemy soil twice. Usually trips to Croft Park ended in a heavy defeat and the supporters bus windows put out.

The Blyth games were usually a double header over Boxing Day and New Year (which usually meant both Xmas and New Year were spoilt or in danger of being spoiled because there was a good chance they were going to sh@g us). Sometimes if it was postponed they would be held over to Easter.

Maybe apart from the Woking F.A Trophy game in 1980 the Blyth derbies were by far the biggest crowds I saw at Portland Park.
There was one on Good Friday 1980 when Ashington won 2-1, must have been nearer 2,000 in the ground and a load of market stalls collapsed because so many people were standing on them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:07 pm 

I see it is very close at the moment with the Spartans and the Terriers neck and neck but traditionally it has to be the Spartans for me great history between the teams in the past but I have to say how sweet it is to get one over the Terriers now and then.Also Whitley Bay now are becoming a bit of a rival these days aswell what with the Senior Cup games etc in the past.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:00 am 

After being a new recruit to the collier army (been going now for 3 years) the terriers it has to be, however last years senior cup game against the spartans was something special and seeing their motley crew walk out early was a delight.